The Fall Sports Awards were held on Tuesday, Nov. 21 for each fall sports team besides football, which had its own banquet the previous evening. Each team had at least 3 awards: the Most Valuable Player Award, the Most Improved Award, and the Rocket Award, which is given to someone who best exemplifies great sportsmanship and leadership qualities that are valued at McNicholas High School.
Women’s Tennis Team
- MVP: Sophomore Madison Hartwell brought in the most victories for the team throughout the season.
- Most Improved Player Award: Freshman Katie St. Charles was new to the sport, and ended up advancing the farthest in the sectionals tournament for singles.
- Rocket Award: Senior Kara Frey. Coach Adam Conrad said, “[Deciding who received] the Rocket Award was difficult because the whole team showed great team spirit and initiative to practice hard. I ended up giving it to a senior that was always eager to come out to practices, even those that weren’t required. She was also always very polite with her opponents and put a smile on everyone’s face.”
Football Cheerleading Squad
- MVP: Junior Sarah Ruwe
- Most Improved Award: Senior Sammie Diedrichs
- Rocket Award: Senior Courtney Lindsay
Men’s and Women’s Cross Country
- MVP: Seniors Adam Zalewski and Rachel Wadell. They were the top runners in every meet.
- Most Improved Award: Sophomores Kate Zurovchak and Patrick Farrell. Coach Dan Rosenbaum said, “[The Most Improved Award] can be interpreted as most improvement from the beginning of the year to the end of the season, which is the case with Kate Zurovchak, or most improvement from last year to this year, as was the case with Patrick Farrell.”
- Rocket Award: Seniors Aaron Vennemeyer and Taylor Roberts. Rosenbaum said, “The Rocket Award usually goes to the emotional leader of the team, or the kid who best exemplifies dedication to the team. Both Aaron and Taylor exhibited those attributes this year.”
Men’s and Women’s Golf
- MVP: Junior Ryan Winkler and senior Allison Hickman. Coach Willy Corbett said, “[Hickman] had the lowest average, 43.44, and advanced to state. She was first team all-league, all-southwest district, and all-city. She had the lowest score of all the Division II golfers in the state tournament.”
- Most Improved Player: Sophomores Mitch Bloemer, Ellie Tierney, and Mary Schmitt. According to Corbett, Tierney and Schmitt won the award because of their improved play around the green and ball striking ability.
- Rocket Award: Senior Eddie Birk and junior Lauren Lamping.
- MVP: Junior Alli Thul.
- Best Offensive Player Award: Sophomore Savannah Carmosino
- Best Defensive Award: Junior captain Maria Clark
- Most Improved Player: Sophomore Sarah Collette
- Rocket Award: Senior captain Kelsey Mueller
- MVP: Senior John Sandmann was 1st team GCL Central in 2010 and 2011, as well as a team captain and 4 year varsity starter.
- Best Defensive Player: Junior Patrick Henry was a captain and has played varsity for three seasons.
- Best Defensive Award: Junior Tony Losekamp was named 1st team GCL Central.
- Most Improved Player: Senior Doug Nieheisel. This was his first season on varsity, and he ended 3rd in the GCL Central in scoring.
- Rocket Award: Senior Zach Petrosky. Coach Tony Ripberger said, “Zach gets the Rocket Award because he worked very hard to have the season that he did. He did not play soccer until this year, but he still had a great year.”
- MVP: Senior Stephanie Schmidt
- Best Offensive Player Award: Junior Brooke Logan
- Best Defensive Player Award: Senior Haley Stultz
- Most Improved Player: Juniors Katie Rogers and Sarah Bouley
- Rocket Award: Senior Claire Redington