Heroes are all around us. They have walked the same halls as us, sat where we have sat, and experienced high school just like we have.
On Veteran’s Day, we honor our family and friends, our heroes, who are in the Armed Forces. We celebrate them and thank them for the opportunity to call ourselves citizens of the United States of America.
A special thanks to these members of our McNicholas families:
- Captain Stefan G. Meiler is currently stationed in Baumholder, Germany. He is the husband of Christa Hyson Meiler, Class of 2005 and niece of English teacher Valerie Combs.
- Lieutenant Colonel Tom Howko, father of sophomore Brianna Dowell-Howko, is in the U.S. Army and has been involved with Operation Desert Storm and, since August 2011, Operation Enduring Freedom.
- Marie Corbett Mills, Class of 1999, is the daughter of art teacher Willy Corbett. She enlisted in September of 2001 and served for four years.
- Marc Mills, son-in-law of Corbett, is a sergeant and has served two terms in Iraq and one in Afghanistan. Mills is stationed at Ft. Bragg in Fayetteville, North Carolina. “I joined to earn money for college, to travel, to better myself, and to gain real-world experience,” Mills said.
- Julie Corbett Oliver, Class of 2003 and daughter of Corbett, enlisted in August of 2003. Oliver served over four years and including two tours in Iraq. “I chose to join the Army because I’ve always wanted to be a soldier and joining the Army was the most stable thing to do after high school. I think [my husband] Joe joined for the same reasons and because he is very patriotic and felt it was the right thing to do,” she said.
- Joe Oliver, son-in-law of Corbett, is a sergeant who served two tours in Iraq and one in Afghanistan. He is stationed at Ft. Richardson/Elmendorf AFB in Anchorage, Alaska.
Captain Todd Mayer, father of junior Teddy Mayer, served in Operation Desert Storm in 1990. He later received a bronze star and a purple heart. Colonel Mayer’s advice for McNicholas students is “Do well in school, participate in clubs or sports. Take care of your body, eat well and exercise. Study, and learn how to study; there is a difference.”