During the week of January 26, McNicholas High School will participate in Catholic Schools Week, a nationally recognized week for students, faculty, and families to celebrate their Catholic school. The theme for 2015 is “Catholic Schools: Communities of Faith, Knowledge, and Service” and will consist of out of uniform days, special surprises during lunch, and daily give-aways.
Due to recent weeks during school like Homecoming and the week before Christmas where dress up days were encouraged for students, “the school administration decided to not allow this to be a dress up week,” said the school Librarian and Webmaster, Mrs. Anne Jones, who also served on the Catholic Schools Week planning committee.
Monday’s festivities included a sundae bar at lunch sponsored by the faculty and staff.
On Tuesday, students are encouraged to wear spirit wear from the grade school they attended with jeans, a number of seniors will be celebrating the Mass at St. Peter in Chains Cathedral, and the Grade School Band Performance will take place at 7 p.m.
Wednesday includes a modified block schedule, which can be found below, as well as a Mass, for which students may choose to dress in Mass attire or their regular uniform.
Students will see a performance of A Midsummer Night’s Dream by the Cincinnati Shakespeare Company on Thursday. The day also includes a modified block schedule with dismissal at 2 p.m. to allow for registration for the Class of 2019 to begin at 3:30 p.m.
Friday is Penny Day as well as the annual blood drive, which will take place in the gym. Friday is also a jeans day and students will be dismissed after lunch at 1 p.m.
Official Catholic Schools Week 2015 schedule and activities:
- Student Council Chalk Board: Open forum for students to comment on why they appreciate Catholic schools, what Catholic schools mean to them, etc.
- Daily Give-Aways: Randomly choose names throughout the day and announce over PA.
- Videoconference with Archbishop Schnurr in library (10 a.m.)
Jeans with grade school/parish spirit wear
- Archdiocesan Mass at Cathedral (12 p.m.)
- Faculty Luncheon—library
- Grade School Band Performance (7 p.m.)
Modified Block Day (1, 2, 3, Mass, 4)—see schedule below
Dress-up day for mass
- Catholic Schools Week Mass (10:20 a.m.)
- Science Fair and Awards (3 p.m. / 6 p.m.)
Modified Block Day (5/6, 7, 8 with 2 p.m. dismissal)—see schedule below
- Faculty Appreciation Breakfast from PTSA (7 a.m.)
- Midsummer Night’s Dream Performance (9 a.m.)
- Freshman Registration (3:30 p.m.)
1 p.m. dismissal—see schedule below
Jeans and McNicholas spirit wear
- Friday Morning Mass (7 a.m.) – social after mass with donuts, juice, etc.
- Blood and Penny Drive